The purpose of this working group is to support the larger efforts of improving and maintaining the packaging ecosystem in Python through fundraising and disbursement of raised funds. It will largely focus on efforts such as PyPI, pip, packaging.python.org, setuptools, and cross project efforts.
- Discussion: Slack and mailing list. The archives are set to private since there will be voting.
- Accounting: We rely on the PSF's donation and accounting mechanisms to raise funds and disburse them to the selected recipients.
The Packaging Working Group supports the implementation & deployment of Warehouse (PyPI 2.0) to replace the legacy code base that powers PyPI.
- Summary: See the PSF blog post about the MOSS grant.
- Roadmap: See WarehouseRoadmap. As of 15 March 2018, the Warehouse team is working on Milestone 3, the beta to publicize. We anticipate that we will shut down legacy PyPI in the second half of April 2018.
- Code: See the GitHub repo.
- Pre-production deployment: See pypi.org.
- Testing: See WarehousePackageMaintainerTesting and the PSF blog post about testing package maintainer functionality.
- Sprints: See PackagingSprints.
- Donald Stufft
- Ewa Jodlowska
- Nathaniel J. Smith
- Nick Coghlan
- Nicole Harris
- Sumana Harihareswara
- Ernest W. Durbin III
- Dustin Ingram
- Mark Mangoba
- Kenneth Reitz
- Laura Hampton (non-voting member)
- (others will be added as they accept their invitation to the WG)
MOSS-funded project: meetings and status updates:
- Kickoff meeting, Monday, Dec. 4, 2017
- Milestone discussion, Thursday, Dec. 7, 2017
- Developer experience audit walkthrough, Tuesday, December 12, 2017
- Maintainer MVP milestone bug triage, Tuesday, Dec. 19, 2017
- Maintainer MVP milestone schedule discussion, January 10, 2018
- Mid-January progress, Jan. 15, 2018
- Role management and welcoming first-time contributors, Jan. 23, 2018
- Standup, bug triage, and milestone schedule discussion, January 29, 2018
- Late January progress, Jan. 30, 2018
- Standup, bug triage, and milestone schedule discussion, February 5, 2018
- Warehouse update: still on track, new features, Feb. 6, 2018
- Feb. 12th standup, bug triage, and milestone schedule update meeting
- Warehouse: package manager features & question about advertising, Feb. 13, 2018
- Feb. 20th standup, bug triage, and milestone schedule update meeting
- Warehouse: essential maintainer features & next steps, Feb. 21st, 2018
- Feb. 26th standup, bug triage, and milestone schedule update meeting
- Warehouse update: a week of testing, polish, & infrastructure, Feb. 27th, 2018
- March 6th planning meeting
- PyPI & Warehouse update: redirecting & shutting down legacy by end of April, March 7th, 2018
- March 12th planning meeting
- new stuff overview, beta next week, user tests, & other Warehouse updates, March 14th, 2018
We plan to run PackagingSprints at PyCon North America and EuroPython in 2018.
Decisions on what fundraising and projects/efforts to support will be done by a simple majority and in the case of a tie, will escalate to the PSF Board.