Warehouse core developers' meeting
Monday, 19 March, 2018
Reschedule Monday March 26 meeting?
No, don't reschedule. Nicole unavailable; Dustin can join
Reminder: last week of March & first week of April, lots of unavailability
- writing LWN article, draft this Thursday
- helped volunteers, triaged bugs, improved docs, supported users, tested Warehouse
non-MOSS: improved Twine & releasing 1.11.0 today (now done https://pypi.org/project/twine/1.11.0/ )
- Last of the camo changes to show message for big images
- Added ability to add classifiers in the admin UI (and took care of some classifier requests)
- Load testing support
Non-MOSS: Description-Content-Type / Markdown Support U0001f389U0001f389U0001f389
Will be "out" all of next week (non-billing, but still can attend this meeting & will be doing some light volunteer work / responding to messages)
- PEP 541 ready for vote (sending e-mail today [now sent]), Nick made a couple edits last week.
- Facebook Grant Working document (will send e-mail to packaging-wg on feedback today) [link] due March 31
- Kubernetes is live on AWS! Cabotage is live on Kubernetes! Warehouse Live on Cabotage!
- Monitoring/Metrics added as we go, have deployment notifications and major alerts in Slack now #pypa-feed - may add to IRC
- Screencast link to be shared after upload
- Focusing on monitoring, stability, and performance this week with a focus on XMLRPC in Warehouse - biggest remaining blocker for switching over PyPI
- Runbooks/Docs on kubernetes installation/cabotage
- Plan to continue testing traffic redirects tomorrow. XMLRPC traffic "replay" can happen in the background without impacting users.
- We can continue redirect testing now that pip 9.0.2 is shipped, we can exclude Artifactory, and pip 1.5.4 (Ubuntu 14.04) confirmed fixed. - redirect people if they get an error
- Recurse Center: April 2-6, I'll be MIA
- no blockers
- Has been reviewing PRs
- testing 566 compliance
- reviewing PRs
- PR - upgrade way to make dropdowns work better
- 2 volunteers for user testing - would like to run another run of tests on package detail page but may need more funds?
- no blockers
- helping with load testing
working on releasing pip 9.0.2 https://pypi.org/project/pip/9.0.2/ - may need 0.3
- Warehouse brownouts ?
Followup from past meetings
Mark, Ernest & Donald: When can we announce [redacted] credits?
- Ernest: still need logo for footer... no?
- Publicize before getting logo?
- DI - remove sponsors that are no longer sponsoring
- need [redacted] transparent logo from Donald
- Donald - no reason to wait
- Mark will take care of announcement/logo
Mark: grant proposals for future grants?
Sumana: talk with Eric about sponsorship outreach & future fundraising - cc Betsy
Nicole & Ernest: ask volunteer contributors for more code review? (Dustin scaling back on PR review)
- yeraydiazdiaz - good front end contributions
- Alan Bato - good front end
- Al Mazan
- DI - follow up
Nicole: how much Nicole time left on grant?
- discuss after
Mark: PEP 541? (addressing) Mark: Open Tech Fund?
- Formal determination message within the next 2 weeks.
- May take some time to iterate through their process and create a finished proposal with them
Beta & redirect schedule
* Should the China CAPTCHA issue be in our beta milestone? https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/3174
- Ernest: looking like it's time to switch from reCAPTCHA to some other service...?
- DI - we may need external help or try to find another captcha service
- Donald - not part of beta but we should try to fix it
- Ernest - try to find a known good captcha instead of Google
DI & EWDIII will take care of captcha
Who wants to review announcements Sumana writes this week?
- Nicole can review
Who's available & interested in being on podcasts in April?
- Nicole - user experience focused podcasts
* Set samesite=lax on session cookies #3221 https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/3221
- Sumana asks: I think this is not urgent. Correct? Post-shutdown milestone?
- We should do this but it is blocked on Pyramid supporting it
is there an upstream bug already filed against Pyramid? is it https://github.com/Pylons/pyramid/issues/2733 ?
- Not urgent - defense in depth - nice to have but we can wait until Pyramid supports it
should Warehouse guard against people uploading broken-description wheels made with an old version of wheel? https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/3084
- Sumana asks: want Twine to check for this? How urgent? Doesn't feel like MOSS work
- Not twine's job, not in scope of MOSS, not a priority, but a nice-to-have
#3275 Artifactory https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/3275
- Sumana asks: do we have someone at JFrog we can/should reach out to?
- Actually is "Artifactory does not like externally hosted files"
- Will follow up with initial reporter to see if we can get JFrog involved.
Design question for Nicole on ISO dates https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/3010
- Progress? This week
Ask Donald for:
nothing this week
* Ernest: DI, Mark, Donald logins for Cabotage/Tectonic