Warehouse core developers' weekly meeting
Tuesday, 17 April 2018 -- postponed from Monday, April 16th because of launch hiccups
absent: Laura, Donald
Availability between now and May 9th
- Sumana is trying to reduce PyPI time to ramp up on another client
- Nicole not available between 1-4 May
- Ernest: Just sticking to Tuesdayish Thursdayish until billable time is exhausted (that's 20hours by my math). (will always be around on volunteer basis).
Mark & Dustin: no change
TODO: After call: Mark & Sumana to work on spreadsheet
Future grants/fellowships -- heads-up
Current grant proposals:
- Facebook: nothing yet
- NLNet: nothing yet
- OTF - have till 26th to reply to OTF on concept note questions: Mark is working on it -- please post to mailing list (Packaging WG) -- TODO
https://open.segment.com/fellowship -- sign up for notification for when it opens if you want to spend all your time on FLOSSy things
https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/grants/open-society-fellowship [unlikely, but on the table]
- OTF Red Team audit -- Sumana should submit - TODO
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/grants/ asking Mozilla for non-MOSS grants - Sumana TODO
Talking publicly about money
May Sumana publicly talk about the project wrapup (basically, mid-May) & what we could do with more money?
RESOLVED: Sumana to work on this today TODO
PRs to review
Trove classifier tree https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/pull/3273
Show "more" button on homepage https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/pull/3424
update last released timestamp to visually connect it more to the latest version box https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/pull/3481
Resolution: Nicole to look at all these, this week TODO
https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/3463 give user option to see more search results in pagination
could we ask RazerM & Honza Kral for help with this?
- Res: Dustin to ping them in issue TODO
https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/3532 retention policy
- Who will summarize VanL's reply in this issue?
- TODO: ask Donald
https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/3632 get ~all users to verify email addresses
what do we need to do in the next ~3 weeks to make a PyCon publicity push useful?
- Dustin says -- we've already added a banner..... at some point, not today, make it not possible to upload new release unless you have a verified email address. That will catch almost everyone who has an unverified email address that we might email.
- Ernest: we had excellent results when we asked people to verify before releasing a new pkg. a little confusion, no grouchiness.
- might want to go back, summarize how those responses went in issues, improve messaging. Then disable uploads without verifying as next step. Then, next step -- upon login, the only thing you can do in UI is verify
- When to flip switches?
- RESOLUTION: NONE; SUMANA TO COMMENT ON ISSUE TODO
https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/3689 Make StatusPage issues more visible
- could we put a "help wanted" label on this?
- Resolution: YES, use their public APIs. Sumana to ask. TODO
https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/3733 valid email address deemed invalid
- need to fix by 30th? no, not very urgent
- Resolution: TODO DI to comment on issue
- seems like an underlying issue with one of our dependencies
Users who have made PRs we've merged since ~November. Whom should we particularly ask to step up & remember to ping on open issues? [conversation continuing elsewhere]
- All of us: reply to Mark's email re: answering OTF's questions
- Review outstanding design/frontend PRs
- Update GDPR issue with VanL's reply