Warehouse Sync-up Meeting
Monday, 2 April, 2018
- (Ernest absent)
- (Donald absent)
- Cross browser testing - opened issues related to IE 11 - less than 3% of users affected
Sponsor page - blocked: waiting for last logos? - need [sponsor] logo -- Logo needed by April 9 (at latest) to not block rollout.
- working on user testing - we find it very unlikely that user test issues will be blockers for launch
- not available first week of May (1-4 May)
- working on digging myself out of a pile of emails
- working through PRs for merging
- updated legacy API docs; reviewing PRs
- Help Nicole with user testing
- unavailable late Thurs and part of Fri; may be unavailable for a day in April
- lots of communication work
need an OK on the TLS announcement https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/3293#issuecomment-377934325 -- need to tell Mac users on 10.13 to upgrade pip . Can @ThePSF retweet?
- FB and NLNet grant proposals submitted. \o/
- Burn rate updated: [document]
- Should be able to announce [infra] Credits this week, but still awaiting the transparent logo. Ernest did ping our contact; has not replied yet.
Proposed April schedule
Context: we have very few open issues blocking us from launching/redirecting and shutting down legacy, and want to shut down legacy this month so we have a few days in early May to fix things while we're still available, pre-PyCon, have budget, etc. And Ernest is unavailable this week so we should not launch/redirect this week.
Sunday April 8th: TLS 1.0/1.1 removal https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/3411
Monday April 9th: a one-time mass email to all PyPI publishers who haven't published a new release since July 1 2017, telling them: [we don't have in-PyPI infrastructure for sending emails to subsets of users (check with Ernest?) - let's draw a tighter box around dates, only emailing publishers who HAVEN'T published a release since mid-2017 but HAVE published a release in the past several years - discuss specific daterange on IRC
- we're in beta
- migration instructions in case they're having problems
- upcoming IRC/Twitter livechats (we would set up new ones)
- get on pypi-announce for more announcements
Monday April 9th: give sponsors the one-week notice that we're launching [we absolutely need all sponsor logos by this date]
- April 9-15: deal with reports from those maintainers, finish beta.
- Monday April 16: launch/redirect.
- Monday April 30: shut down legacy.
There's a request from JFrog to postpone redirect to 22nd -- but they can use the User-Agent redirect exclusion from legacy until we shut down Legacy, so they should be fine.
Group approved this plan. Updated the Warehouse roadmap.
Ask Donald for
[sponsor] transparent logo
- Sumana: seems worth spending a little Twine time on
- di: we should just revert the error message for now
give user option to see more search results in pagination https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/3463
could Nicole user test about this? Yes
- do users search for maintainer names?
reStructuredText header issue https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/3311
- could Dustin investigate? di: yes, likely a readme_renderer issue
problem deleting project with a period character in project name https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/3491
- how many projects are potentially affected? di: lots
- di: trivial to use the non-normalized name instead
- How many deletions a day do we get? Would be a good question to answer. deletions are uncommon, more common on Test.
- a deleted filename cannot be reused *even if the project name was deleted and recreated*, but verrrrrry few users ever run into this
which of the cross-browser bugs https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+no%3Amilestone+label%3A%22cross+browser+bug+%3Abug%3A%22 do we need to fix before shutting down legacy?
deferring to Nicole - none. Priority is mobile/tablet bugs because there is higher percentage of users there than on ie11. Nothing blocking. ie11 users are < 3% - 90% confident Nicole has found most bugs - most users use Chrome and site was developed with Chrome
Sumana to open issue about users searching for maintainer names -- filed as https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/3527