The Beginning Programmers Workshop will be held as a Birds-of-a-Feather (BoF) session at Ohio LinuxFest 2008. Hopefully it will inspire similar workshops elsewhere.
The idea is simply to bring new programmers, and programmers new to Python, together with experienced ones to take their first steps in Python in an environment with plenty of help to get them over the hump.
Project suggestions for attendees
"Consider working in pairs for a better programming and learning experience!"
- Walk through a general Python tutorial
- Use /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/*/temperature and matplotlib to chart your computer's CPU temperature
- Write a game with pyglet
- Use Visual Python to play with the solar system demo or for another 3-D graphics project
- Walk through the SQLAlchemy Tutorial to get data into and out of a relational database
- Create a dynamic web application. Possible platforms to build it on include
- Do something that's actually useful *to you*