This page describes tasks for the 2010 Summer of Code. Students and mentors are listed on the Distutils2 teams page.
Contact: Tarek Ziadé <firstname.lastname@example.org>
PEP 376 support
Implement pkgutil APIs described in PEP 376 : http://bugs.python.org/issue8250 -- work started by people in the community already. (focus on speed with benches)
- Implement a dependency-graph builder
- Add basic PEP 376 support in Distribute [and Pip is possible]
Assigned to Josip.
Installer / Uninstaller, PyPI
- Implement Distutils2 APIs described in PEP 376.
- Add the uninstall command.
- think about a basic installer / uninstaller script. (with deps) -- similar to pip/easy_install
- in a pypi subpackage;
- Integrate a module similar to setuptools' package_index
PyPI XML-RPC client for Distutils2: http://bugs.python.org/issue8190
Assigned to Alexis.
Distutils new commands
Add a post/pre-commit hook for install and uninstall commands: http://bugs.python.org/issue8312 see if it can be generic.
- enhance the check command (sanity tests)
- Move the upload_doc command from distribute
- add an optional call to upload_doc into upload
Add a test command: http://bugs.python.org/issue8324
Assigned to Konrad.
Distutils build tool
- Study 4Suite' configure command
Write a configure command: http://bugs.python.org/issue8254
- Make install and build optionally use the configure file
Make it possible to use setup.cfg to describe all the metadata: http://bugs.python.org/issue8252
- Describe the resources files and the Python files using a [resources] or [packages] [py_modules]
section in setup.cfg: http://bugs.python.org/issue8253
- make setup.py optional (commands would be called through a -m call)
Assigned to Éric.
- Move the use_2to3 command from distribute
- Make sure distutils2 works under Py3 using 2to3
Assigned to Zubin.
Tasks for all
- Write a small tutorial in docs/ for each feature you add
complete tutorial : http://bugs.python.org/issue8255
- Promote and evangelize Distutils2–This will consist of helping python project to switch to/adopt Distutils2. We will define a list of targets at the beginning and the student will be in charge of helping them switching to Distutils2 if they want.