added Kerala school
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
|= Schools using Python =
Note that in order to edit text on this wiki page you will need to be registered with and logged into the wiki. See the [[FrontPage|FrontPage]] for more info. If you are unable to edit this page, feel free to send the info you wanted to add to firstname.lastname@example.org .
= Introduction =
This is a listing of schools that are using Python in their curriculum.
I would like to confirm each of the schools below by linking to a specific web page with a course listing and/or the professor(s) teaching classes that involve the use of Python. Each listing should be expanded with a description of how Python is being used. -- [[KevinAltis|KevinAltis]]
Need to copy info from:
= High Schools =
* Duchesne Academy of the Sacred Heart - Houston, TX
* Yorktown High School, in Arlington Virginia ([[http://www.elkner.net/|Jeff Elkner]])
* Canterbury School, in Fort Wayne, IN ([[http://tech.canterburyschool.org/tech/VernCeder|Vern Ceder]])
* [[http://www.gfc.edu.co/colegio/proyectos/spt/|Gimnasio Fidel Cano]], Bogotá, Colombia ([[http://igor.tamarapatino.org/|Igor Támara]])
= Colleges and Universities =
== Australia ==
* University of New South Wales
* Computer science taught/teaches course(s) with Python (as of about 2001)
* RMIT University
* Computer science teaches course with Python
* University of Queensland
* [[http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~csse1001/|CSSE1001 Introduction to Software Engineering I]]
== Bosnia and Herzegovina ==
* University of Banja Luka
* Python is used in Introduction to CS1 and Introduction to CS2 courses at Department of Mathematics and Informatics
* Information about courses (in Cyrillic): [[http://matinf.pmfbl.org/media/uploads/filebrowser/uur1bl11.pdf|Syllabus for Introduction to CS1]] [[http://matinf.pmfbl.org/media/uploads/filebrowser/uur2bl11.pdf|Syllabus for Introduction to CS2]]
== Canada ==
* University of Toronto
* The CS department has introduced [[http://www.artsandscience.utoronto.ca/ofr/calendar/crs_csc.htm#CSC120H1|Computer Science for the Sciences]], an introductory course aimed at (mainly) life sciences students.
* [[http://www.cdf.toronto.edu/~csc207h/winter|CSC207H]] is a third-semester course that teaches several weeks of Python.
* A few 2nd- and 3rd-year theory courses have students implement some algorithms in Python.
* University of Waterloo
* One of the more prestigious engineering/comp-sci schools in Canada is using it officially in [[http://www.student.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~cs488/|CS488 (Intro to 3D graphics)]], and I'm told there's lots of use among faculty, staff and students. I don't think they actually teach much Python, they're focused on teaching OpenGL/graphics programming, but they do wind up using it as the framework into which the students slot their code.
* Wilfrid Laurier University
* Python is taught in the Introduction to Programming ([[http://www.wlu.ca/physcomp/cp104/|CP104]]) and Data Structures ([[http://www.wlu.ca/physcomp/cp114/|CP114]]) courses.
* Cégep du Vieux-Montréal
* Used for Advanced Web Development course (420-B63-VM)
* Note: Cégeps are collegiate level schools giving a 2 year pre-university program or a 3 year professionnal program such as [[http://www.cvm.qc.ca/informatique/pages/main.html|Computing Technology]]
* Simon Fraser University
* Python is used in CMPT 120 (Intro to CS and Programming I). This course is designed for new Computing Science majors with little or no programming background. Other students throughout the University are also encouraged to take this course for breadth.
* Python is also used to introduce server-side web programming in CMPT 165 (Intro to the Internet and WWW).
* Several more specialized courses use Python as well. This includes web systems, computational linguistics, and others.
* Université Laval
* The EECE department is giving an [[https://capsuleweb.ulaval.ca/pls/etprod7/bwckctlg.p_disp_course_detail?cat_term_in=201009&subj_code_in=GLO&crse_numb_in=1900|Introductory course on programming using Python (GLO-1900)]] to all first year students in the programs of Computer Engineering and Electrical Engineering (and possibly to Software Engineering students in 2011).
* University of Alberta
* Python is used in CMPUT 174/175 (Intro to CS and Programming I/II). This course is designed for new Computing Science majors with little or no programming background. Other students throughout the University are also encouraged to take this course for breadth.
* [[McMaster|McMaster]] University
== China ==
* Zhejiang University
* Python is selected as the programming language for project of Digital Asset Management course 2011.
* Course Information: [[http://www.cad.zju.edu.cn/home/zhx/DAM/2011/doku.php|Digital Asset Management 2011]]
== Finland ==
* University of Helsinki
* Programming in Python, voluntary intermediate level course.
== France ==
* Université Bordeaux 1
* Python is used as a first language for the Science & Technology licence
* Université Paris Sud (Paris XI) - IUT d'Orsay
* Python is used as computer science learning language for the "DUT Mesures Physiques" cursus
* Université Paris 13 - IUT Villetaneuse
* Python is used as a first language for the Telecom & Networks DUT
* Institut Pasteur - Cours d'Informatique en Biologie
* Python is used a the main language for teaching programming.
* Course description: http://www.pasteur.fr/formation/infobio/
* Online Python course: http://www.pasteur.fr/formation/infobio/python/
* Lycée Louis Armand (Nogent sur Marne) - BTS Informatique de gestion option Administrateur de réseaux
* Python is used as a first programming language.
* Python is used to write network oriented applications.
* Université Paris-Dauphine - Master 2 MIAGE Informatique pour la Finance (IT for Finance)
* Python is used as a agile and productive language
== India ==
* University of Calicut
* Python is used in BSc Mathematics cource.
* Course Syllabus (Two modules): http://www.universityofcalicut.info/syl/B.Sc_Maths_Syll.pdf
* High school classes (8th, 9th & 10th standards) in Kerala state
* Class X book: https://www.itschool.gov.in/pdf/Std_X/ICT/xEnglish.pdf (Chapter 4)
== Portugal ==
* University of Évora
* Python is used in an Introduction to Programming course
* The book adopted for the course is the Downey book: How to Think Like a Computer Scientist: Learning with Python
* The main objective for the course is to help students to understand the basics of programming, thus using Python as a tool to accomplish this goal.
== Singapore ==
* Republic Polytechnic
* Python is used as the main language for teaching introductory programming in a problem-based
. learning approach.
== Spain ==
* Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC). Polytechnical University of Catalonia.
* EPSE Manresa. Python is used as the main language for teaching introductory programming in a first
. Computer Science year.
* IES Pirámide (Huesca).
* Maths and Game Programming. Materials: http://sites.google.com/site/laislalibre/
* Centro Público Integrado de Formación Profesional Los Enlaces. Zaragoza.
== United Kingdom ==
* University of Oxford
* Department of Physics (need to confirm)
* University of Wolverhampton
* Coventry University [[http://www.coventry.ac.uk/|http://www.coventry.ac.uk]]
* University of Southampton, MSc in Web Science "Computational Thinking" module for non-computer scientists. http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/admissions/pg/msc/syllabus.php?unit=COMP6046
* Bangor University http://www.bangor.ac.uk/cs/listcourses.php.en?view=course&prospectustype=undergraduate&courseid=420&subjectarea=4
== United States ==
=== California ===
* University of California, Irvine
* University of California, Santa Barbara
* University of California Santa Cruz Extension in Sunnyvale CA
* Chapman University, Orange
=== Colorado ===
* Colorado School of Mines
* University of Northern Colorado
=== Connecticut ===
* Wesleyan University
=== Florida ===
* University of Florida
* Florida Community College at Jacksonville
=== Georgia ===
* Georgia Tech
* [[http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/cs1315|Introduction to Media Computation]]
=== Idaho ===
* Lewis & Clark State College
=== Iowa ===
* University of Iowa
* Wartburg College
* Zelle's school
* Luther College
=== Kentucky ===
* Morehead State University
=== Massachusetts ===
* Hampshire College
* Wheaton College
* Python is one of the languages used in COMP 131: Computing for Poets
=== Michigan ===
* Western Michigan University
* Kalamazoo College
=== Minnesota ===
* Minnesota State at Bemidji
=== Mississippi ===
* Mississippi College
=== Missouri ===
* Southeast Missouri State
=== New York ===
* Binghamton University
* Introduction to programming for students without any programming experience.
* Python is used in this course using John Zelle's book
* Course homepage: http://bingweb.binghamton.edu/~cs110/
* Stony Brook University
* Python is used for most of the programming assignments in CSE 307: Principles of Programming Languages
=== North Carolina ===
* Brunswick Community College, Supply NC
* North Carolina State University
* The Physics department uses it for teaching Physics for Engineers and Scientists I and II (PY 205, PY 208, more info at courses.ncsu.edu)
* VPython is used for labs and web-based assignments. Students simulate different scenarios by writing code to create them based on the formulas used in lecture.
=== Ohio ===
* Capital University
* Python is used in the traditional CS1 course using John Zelle's book
* Python and C++ are used in CS2
* lab assignments in many courses may be written in Python or C++
* contact person: David Reed (dreed (at) capital.edu)
* Kent State
=== Oregon ===
* Mt Hood Community College
=== Pennsylvania ===
* Bryn Mawr College
* Franklin & Marshall College
* Both CS1 and CS2 (Miller & Ranum's books)
* In some advanced courses as well
=== Utah ===
* Brigham Young University
* CS 100 (Not required for CS majors)
=== Virginia ===
* Radford University
* Washington and Lee University
* CS1 and CS2 using Lambert’s CS1/CS2 book
= need to confirm =
* North Carolina State University
* California State University, Chico
* Centre College
* Rochester Institute of Technology
* University of Arizona
* University of Wisconsin, Madison
* University of Istanbul (http://www.linuxfocus.org/Francais/October1998/article67.html)
= Books =
* [[http://www.fbeedle.com/99-6.html|Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science]] by John Zelle. Also see John Zelle's [[http://mcsp.wartburg.edu/zelle/python/|Teaching with Python]].
* Introduction to Media Computation: A Multimedia Cookbook in Python
* [[http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/|How to Think Like a Computer Scientist: Learning with Python]] by Allen Downey, Jeff Elkner and Chris Meyers
* [[http://home.wlu.edu/~lambertk/python/|Fundamentals of Python: From First Programs Through Data Structures]] by Kenneth Lambert
* [[http://www.pythonworks.org/home|Python: Programming in Context and Problem Solving with Algorithms and Data Structures Using Python]] by Brad Miller and David Ranum
* [[http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-EHEP002019.html|Introduction to Computing Using Python: An Application Development Focus]] by Ljubomir Perkovic
* Also see [[PythonBooks|PythonBooks]]
= Other Materials =
* [[http://www.python.org/other/python.mov|Introducing Python]] (Quicktime video, 14 minutes long, 68MB)
= Related Pages =
|My name: Nannette Herman<<BR>>
My age: 25<<BR>>
Home town: La Roche <<BR>>
Post code: 1634<<BR>>
Street: Kirchstrasse 93<<BR>>
Feel free to visit my weblog ... ppc management for auto dealerships [[[http://www.timmathews.com|just click the following web site]]]
My name: Nannette Herman
My age: 25
Home town: La Roche
Post code: 1634
Street: Kirchstrasse 93
Feel free to visit my weblog ... ppc management for auto dealerships just click the following web site]