Here are some of the findings in the webconferencing openspace session and #av-clubroom discord discussion at EuroPython 2020.
Aukey PC-LM1E Webcam SKU ITAN1014662
- standard webcam for PC
- just works with linux, e.g. with guvcview on ubuntu 20.04
- available, ca. 49 EUR
- 65 degress wide angle (so little of "you" in lots of "room around you")
- default settings seem to be too white, can be adjusted via sw
- camera and microphone are really nice
- plug and play, works on Linux (Ubuntu 20.04)
Headsets (Headphones with Microphone)
- wired USB headset,works great on Linux and does some amount of noise cancelation
MPOW HC5 Bluetooth Headset X0016X73LR
- over-the-ears BT5 headphones
- works as headset with Android phone (speakers+mic)
- works as headphones with PC (speakers only)
does not work as headset (speakers+mic) with BT4 USB adapter at computer
does not work as headset (speakers+mic) via 1Mii B10 at computer (not able to switch to "call" mode)
Blue Yeti Mic
works very well, but no built in noise cancellation so it picks up everything unless you use it in Cardiod mode with the gain all the way down.
1Mii USB Bluetooth Audio Transmitter B10 EAN X0014UJEH3
- for computer it is just a USB "sound card"
- internally, it transmits sound output via BT5 to headphones speakers
- internally, it receives sound input via BT5 from headset microphone
- 2 modes, switch by hw button:
- music - high quality (aptX) - output only
- call - lower quality - input/output
- just a soundcard, keeps all the BT stuff away from computer
- nice for Qubes OS (just forward USB device to VM with teleconf sw)
- nice for Linux and BT5 (not [m]any working BT5 adapters yet)
- some stuff "just works"
- lots of states signalled via single multicolor LED
- misc. state changing inputs via a single hw button
- no "debugging" possible if something BT does not work
- just a soundcard, no BT exposed to computer
plugable Bluetooth USB Adaptor USB-BT4LE X0004WCG5T
- BT 4.0 LE + classic BT
- just works with Linux (Ubuntu 20.04)
Other / Unsorted
Blackmagic Design ATEM Mini
"ATEM Mini switchers make it easy to create professional multi camera production."
Rode Wireless Go Mic
Panasonic GX85 camera
Linux Webcam Software
- quite to adjust camera parameters
- good video quality
- just works on Ubuntu 20.04
Free and open-source cross-platform streaming and recording program.
- working nicely on windows
- packages for Linux, old .deb package + recent snap for Ubuntu 20.04
- powerful processing / mixing / assembling of video output signal from misc sources
- powerful processing of the audio, like noise suppression, gain. also mixing of microphone plus desktop audio is possible.
- to emulate a virtual webcam (which then can be used by your video conf software)
- you need an extra plugin and a kernel module and you might need to compile some stuff.