The contents of this page are being merged into the ChoosingDatabase page.
Databases based on a relational model, with support for SQL.
ODBC allows you to use a single library and API to connect to many different databases, including most of those below.
pyodbc: http://code.google.com/p/pyodbc Open source, mature DB API library
pg_proboscis: DB-API 2.0 and GreenTrunk Interfaces http://python.projects.postgresql.org/project/pg_proboscis.html
pg_pqueue: PQ 3.0 Protocol elements http://python.projects.postgresql.org/project/pg_pqueue.html
- Asynchronous and pure Python. Speed comparable to C bindings. Special support for Twisted.
- Barebones pure-Python PostgreSQL client
Supports the PostgreSQL ODBC driver on both Windows and Unix.
Note that you have to enable the advanced option "Use bytea for lo" in case you want to work with BLOBs.
- This is for old Oracle versions (7 and 8).
- For Oracle 8i and up.
Supports the Oracle Instant Client which is available for Windows and many popular Unix platforms.
More info on DB2
- Supports Sybase ASE.
Sybase SQL Anywhere
- Implements with extensions Database API 2.0
- Supports SQL Anywhere.
- MaxDB/SAPDB's native CLI is ODBC compatible and mxODBC can link directly against the CLI libs on Unix. It also supports the ODBC driver on Windows.
- Note: The Informix ODBC drivers are included in the Informix CSDK.
Microsoft SQL Server
See SQL Server
Native Python Databases
buzhug is a pure-Python database engine, using a Pythonic, no-SQL syntax.
The data is stored and accessed on disk (it is not an in-memory database). The implementation has been designed to make all operations, and especially selection, as fast as possible with an interpreted language.
A limited benchmark using the same use cases as SQLite's author shows that buzhug is much faster than other pure-Python modules (KirbyBase, gadfly). SQLite, which is implemented in C, is faster, but only less than 3 times on the average.
SnakeSQL is a pure Python SQL database written to remove the dependence of the Python Web Modules on 3rd party drivers for non-Python databases like MySQL but designed to be a useful database in its own right.