The contents of this page are being merged into the ChoosingDatabase page.
Databases based on a relational model, with support for SQL.
pg_proboscis: DB-API 2.0 and GreenTrunk Interfaces http://python.projects.postgresql.org/project/pg_proboscis.html
pg_pqueue: PQ 3.0 Protocol elements http://python.projects.postgresql.org/project/pg_pqueue.html
- Asynchronous and pure Python. Speed comparable to C bindings. Special support for Twisted.
- Barebones pure-Python PostgreSQL client
Supports the [http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/odbc/versions/ PostgreSQL ODBC driver] on both Windows and Unix.
Note that you have to enable the advanced option "Use bytea for lo" in case you want to work with BLOBs.
- This is for old Oracle versions (7 and 8).
- For Oracle 8i and up.
Supports the [http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/oci/instantclient/index.html Oracle Instant Client] which is available for Windows and many popular Unix platforms.
- More info on ["DB2"]
- Supports Sybase ASE and Sybase Anywhere.
- MaxDB/SAPDB's native CLI is ODBC compatible and mxODBC can link directly against the CLI libs on Unix. It also supports the ODBC driver on Windows.
- Note: The Informix ODBC drivers are included in the Informix CSDK.
Microsoft SQL Server
- See ["SQL_Server"]
Native Python Databases
[http://buzhug.sourceforge.net/ buzhug] is a pure-Python database engine, using a Pythonic, no-SQL syntax.
The data is stored and accessed on disk (it is not an in-memory database). The implementation has been designed to make all operations, and especially selection, as fast as possible with an interpreted language.
A limited benchmark using the same use cases as SQLite's author shows that buzhug is much faster than other pure-Python modules (KirbyBase, gadfly). SQLite, which is implemented in C, is faster, but only less than 3 times on the average.
[http://www.pythonweb.org/projects/snakesql/ SnakeSQL] is a pure Python SQL database written to remove the dependence of the Python Web Modules on 3rd party drivers for non-Python databases like MySQL but designed to be a useful database in its own right.