|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 3:||Line 3:|
|The contents of this page are being merged into the
|The contents of this page are being merged into the ChoosingDatabase page.|
|Line 18:||Line 16:|
|* PostgresPy: http://python.projects.postgresql.org/|| * pg/python: http://python.projects.postgresql.org/
* pg_proboscis: DB-API 2.0 and GreenTrunk Interfaces http://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=display&name=pg_proboscis
* pg_pqueue: PQ 3.0 Protocol elements http://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=display&name=pg_pqueue
|Line 26:||Line 26:|
|Line 35:||Line 34:|
|Line 37:||Line 35:|
| * PyDB2: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pydb2
* mxODBC: http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/
* DB2's native CLI is ODBC compatible and mxODBC can link directly against these libraries. It also supports the DB2 ODBC driver on Windows.
|* More info on ["DB2"]|
|Line 45:||Line 41:|
|Line 50:||Line 45:|
|Line 55:||Line 49:|
|Line 58:||Line 51:|
|Line 60:||Line 52:|
The contents of this page are being merged into the ChoosingDatabase page.
Databases based on a relational model, with support for SQL.
pg_proboscis: DB-API 2.0 and GreenTrunk Interfaces http://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=display&name=pg_proboscis
pg_pqueue: PQ 3.0 Protocol elements http://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=display&name=pg_pqueue
- Asynchronous and pure Python. Speed comparable to C bindings. Special support for Twisted.
- Barebones pure-Python PostgreSQL client
Supports the [http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/odbc/versions/ PostgreSQL ODBC driver] on both Windows and Unix. Note that you have to enable the advanced option "Use bytea for lo" in case you want to work with BLOBs.
- This is for old Oracle versions (7 and 8).
- For Oracle 8i and up.
Supports the [http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/oci/instantclient/index.html Oracle Instant Client] which is available for Windows and many popular Unix platforms.
- More info on ["DB2"]
- Supports Sybase ASE and Sybase Anywhere.
- MaxDB/SAPDB's native CLI is ODBC compatible and mxODBC can link directly against the CLI libs on Unix. It also supports the ODBC driver on Windows.
- Note: The Informix ODBC drivers are included in the Informix CSDK.
Native Python Databases
[http://buzhug.sourceforge.net/ buzhug] is a pure-Python database engine, using a Pythonic, no-SQL syntax.
The data is stored and accessed on disk (it is not an in-memory database). The implementation has been designed to make all operations, and especially selection, as fast as possible with an interpreted language.
A limited benchmark using the same use cases as SQLite's author shows that buzhug is much faster than other pure-Python modules (KirbyBase, gadfly). SQLite, which is implemented in C, is faster, but only less than 3 times on the average.
[http://www.pythonweb.org/projects/snakesql/ SnakeSQL] is a pure Python SQL database written to remove the dependence of the Python Web Modules on 3rd party drivers for non-Python databases like MySQL but designed to be a useful database in its own right.