"A page for ideas on gathering statistics about how Python is used."
The motivation is to help during discussions about Python where a consensus isn't available. Anecdotes usually fall short in that case.
Ideally, we'd be able to break data down into various groupings, and consider both totals and percentages.
- new development vs. stable code-bases
- categories (web, scripts, "big data", computation, etc.)
- "bare metal" vs. on top of some framework
- regional usage
Solutions for Gathering Usage Statistics
- data from PyPI (a.k.a. the cheeseshop)
- search results (incl. google, code search sites)
An unsubstantiated of how Python is used:
- web applications
- scripting and tooling
- high-performance computation
- testing (non-Python/embedded/whatever code)
- Data from PyPI or google will likely not include closed-source usage.
This topic is the subject of threads on python-list: