This page describes a possible Summer of Code project for a testing infrastructure for PyPI.
PyPI has recently gained a PubSubHubBub interface we can use to trigger events when a new package is uploaded.
The student work to be done is :
- compare and chose the best virtual environment for the testing infrastructure we need
- create a initial collections of clean VMs
- study tools like systemtap to be able to report what happens on a box
- create a set of scripts to drive the Virtual Machines (Linux only is acceptable) :
- start the VM
- set up the VM for the tests (firewall, probes, etc.)
- upload content and run commands over the VM
- get back the reports
- perform rollback
create a PubSubHubBub daemon
- trigger the tests for each upload events
- store the report
- create a website
- display the reports
- create a registry system for people to get reports by emails
The final piece of software should be extensible by a plugin system (adding test-cases to PyPI testing infrastructure).