Python Events Calendar
The Python events calendar is a group of Google calendars maintained by volunteers and published on the following sites:
Submitting an Event
If you would like to get new events listed on these calendars, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning:
- the name of the event,
- the location,
- the dates/times and
- a URL.
For recurring events, please also include the recurrence information.
Python Events Calendar - mostly meant for conferences and larger local events Calendar ID: email@example.com
Python User Group Calendar - meant for user group events and other smaller local events Calendar ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you'd like to embed the calendar into your site, please ping us at email@example.com before doing so. We'd like to keep a list of sites where the calendars are displayed.
You can find the embedding code further below on this page.
Known sites embedding the calendars
http://python.org/ - in the side bar of the site
http://pycon.org/ - on the front page
The following people currently have admin rights to the calendars:
- Richard Jones
- Mike Müller
- Tarek Ziade
- Tetsuya Morimoto
- Skip Montanaro
- Marc-Andre Lemburg
Notes regarding calendar entries
Some notes regarding entries for the admins:
- Please add the conference/event year to the title, if available. For user group meetings or other events that occur more often that's probably not necessary.
- For conferences I use "All day" events, for user group events I add the start time and end time, if known.
- Please include the location as "City, Country".
Please add a link to the event as description. I found that using HTML links works well, e.g. <a href="http://www.pycon.fr/2012/>PyCon FR 2012</a>
- I've always used "Show me as: Available" for new entries. No idea whether that matters or not.
- Please select "Privacy: Default" for new entries. This makes the entries public, since that's the default setting.
All calendar admins can invite more people as calendar admins. When doing so, please add the new admins to the above list and ping the team by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org (also to get their email address added to the events@ alias).
Guidelines for entries
In order to make the decision of whether to add an event and where to add it easier, we've setup a few guidelines:
- Events have to have some focus on Python: The event should either target Python, a project written in Python, or showcase Python in some form.
Examples are Python conferences, conferences which have a Python track or tutorial, conferences at which Python is presented in some form. The same goes for conferences which target a project written mostly in Python (e.g. Plone, Django, OpenStack, etc.) and for other events such as sprints.
- The calendars should only list the events themselves. CFP deadlines, registration openings or similar announcements should not be listed in the calendars.
- Python Events Calendar: This calendar should only receive entries for conferences of at least around 100 attendees, which at least around a 3rd non-local attendees. Smaller events with at least around 30 attendees such as sprints, barcamps or smaller unconferences may also be added to this calendar if they are scheduled as separate event, will have a significant impact and reach out to larger regions.
Examples: PyCon conferences, OSCON, Django conferences, Plone conference, Need-for-speed sprints, Python BarCamps/Unconferences/etc.
- Python User Group Calendar: This calendar is meant for user group activities which are open to Python people from outside the group (new prospective members and visitors from out of town). It is not meant for user group internal events. Examples: monthly local user group meetings, project sprints that are open for non-group members.
Calendar embedding code
This iframe code is used on pycon.org to display the calendar:
<iframe src="https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?showTitle=0&showCalendars=0&height=400&wkst=2&bgcolor=%23FFFFFF&src=j7gov1cmnqr9tvg14k621j7t5c%40group.calendar.google.com&color=%23125A12&src=3haig2m9msslkpf2tn1h56nn9g%40group.calendar.google.com&color=%232F6309&ctz=Europe%2FLondon" style=" border-width:0 " width="800" height="450" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"> <a href="https://www.google.com/calendar/ical/j7gov1cmnqr9tvg14k621j7t5c%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics">Python Events iCal Calendar</a><br/> <a href="https://www.google.com/calendar/ical/3haig2m9msslkpf2tn1h56nn9g%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics">Python User Group iCal Calendar</a> </iframe>
Google Calendar API v2 Atom Reference. This describes the available RSS feed options available on the Google calendar feed links.