In order to continue the effort started in distutils-ML. We are organizing a distutils PEP sprint with people that works differently to deliver Python applications.
- using virtualenv
- using zc.buildout/setuptools
- using scons
- using the debian packaging system
- using the fedora packaging system
If you want to join, please do !
- Where: remote sprint, #distutils on freenode
- When (proposed date) :
- Thursday, 2 oct. 9 a.m. CEST
- Friday, 3 oct. 9 a.m. CEST
- Saturday, 4 oct. 9 a.m. CEST
name / skills / desired date
- Tarek Ziadé / zc.buildout, some distutils and setuptools internals / Any of the three dates
Toshio Kuratomi / Fedora Packaging, some paver, setuptools consumer / Thursday, Friday but none of the times 7:00AM my time == 4:00PM CEST == 14:00 UTC. I could meet from that point on? Alternately, I could be online at 5:00UTC until I fall asleep.
Tasks that will be covered
- make a synthesis of all the threads that have discussed distutils previously
work on the Python Metadata definition (PEP 345, see http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0345) and see if some improvments could be done in it.
- work on a proposal to see how these metadata could be defined in the package, besides setup.py, and let external tools read them.
- work on a proposal to structure the content of packages
- list the problems in compilation matters and work on a proposal to improve it
We would like to come up with enough material to write a meta-PEP and a series of PEP. These PEPs will then be submitted in the distutils-SIG mailing list for further discussions.