A Roadmap to Programming Concepts, using Python
Here are broken out the concepts of programming with Python; essentially a list of ideas, the order in which they might be learned and where the knowledge can be gained.
"What mental model is necessary to understand programming?"
- what is an algorithm?
- that things happen in sequence
- and can loop
- but exceptions can be raised
- names are bound to values
- those values can be singles
- or collections like lists, tuples
- collections have subscripts, with ranges
- strings are actually collections
- mappings are interesting
- programs have a start and a stop
- they usually do some setup at the start
- they may report some status at the stop
- code can be carried around like a value
- grouping code with functions reduces complexity
- modules group code too
- classes and objects
- you have a choice of interpreters