Goals for 2007 redesign
- Rebuilding needs to be faster.
- Global rebuilds could be very fast.
- Or, a fast rebuild of a subtree or page needs to be easy.
- Must not require a massive restructuring of the current build/data tree. (We may or may not use nav.yml and the other files, but a new tool mustn't require some enormous transition process.)
- Continue supporting reST and hand-written HTML; we'll continue working on killing off the HTML, but don't want to make it dependent on that.
- Should be possible to include Wiki pages.
- Easier to build: e.g. use the current best-of-practice YAML parser, whatever that may be, instead of a custom wrapper.
- Should include a redirect list inside the pydotorg SVN, so that it doesn't require editing the Apache configs to move a page.
- Should use some 3rd-party Python library for templating.
- Should be usable as the back-end for generating pages on the fly in case python.org becomes fully dynamic. So generating a single page should be reasonably quick and not require any expensive operations.
- Write conversion tool: YAML info to the navigation format.
- Fix encoding problems.
- Write redirection config. tool.
amk@matterhorn:~/source/p/pyramid-trunk$ pyramid/pyramid --help usage: pyramid [options] options: -h, --help show this help message and exit -d DATA, --data=DATA directory in which the fragment data is stored -o OUT, --out=OUT directory in which to save output (will be emptied) -r RESOURCES, --resources=RESOURCES comma separated list of resource directories to copy -v, --verbose print status messages to stdout -V, --veryverbose print all data to stdout -W, --veryveryverbose print all data to stdout -R REBUILDDIRS, --rebuilddirs=REBUILDDIRS only rebuild below these comma separated directories -C, --createcache recreate the cache files -c CONSTANTS, --constants=CONSTANTS pass in the names constants (e.g. PDO=/root/pdo,PSF=/psf -k, --keepgoing keep going past errors if possible -U, --update NOT WORKING DO NOT USE try to build only those pages that have changed -n, --relativeurls Converts urls from absolute to relative -P, --prettify Prettify output - not used on live site amk@matterhorn:~/source/p/pyramid-trunk$