PEP 302 style zipimport module Added in r3463
number of misc. Jython bug fixes most already committed
file descriptor support for tempfile.mkstemp, os.open and tarfile Added in r3711
tempfile.mkstemp Added in r3712
os.chdir (also needed for distutils) Added in r3844
tarfile module Added in r3850
a valid sys.executable. required by setuptools and distutils for spawning subprocesses. Added in r3867, enabled via -Dpython.executable (see http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.jython.devel/4068 )
a site-packages dir (jython needs to include it on sys.path by default). required by setuptools and distutils Added in r3886
distutils: requires [http://hg.underboss.org/jython-pjenvey/rev/1026fe32c01c a number of small patches]:
a valid sys.executable Added in r3867
getpass module Added in r3876
- distutils metadata for the os.name == 'java' (like path names, default bdist type, etc)
- a jython spawn-like function: "error: don't know how to spawn programs on platform 'java'". os.system works as a replacement
compile .py files to $py.class instead of .pyc distutils and these last 3 modifications were added in r3888
imp.acquire/release_lock (and the accompanying lock_held which we don't actually need). Exposes the import machinery's lock via the imp module Added in r3894
- setuptools runs a test to ensure .pth files work by running "sys.executable -E -c pass". -E is ignore environment on CPython, but is different on Jython (takes an argument):
-E codec : Use a different codec the reading from the console. -E codec renamed to -C codec in r4013. -E is now a noop (but valid) command line arg
os.lstat. setuptools cut and pasted shutil's rmtree from CPython 2.4, which uses lstat to check for a directory vs a symlink to a directory. We now support an os.stat that fills in st_mode's directory bit, but can we support lstat? (We definitely can with JNA)? Can setuptools avoid lstat completely (requiring a patch)? I don't think Java can safely determine a sym link yet. Java 1.7's JSR 203 (nio part 2) should address this as well as chmod, but we obviously need a solution for Java 1.5 Turned out we can implement a simple lstat in pure Java, added in r4014
We don't have:
- os.chmod. This can be implemented with JNA. We can still support setuptools on deployments lacking JNA if we submit a patch back to setuptools to only use chmod if it exists
- setuptools' use of marshal: setuptools uses marshal.load in two places -- to get a code object from a .pyc file, so it can scan the code object's co_names and co_consts (basically to read a module's variables without importing it).
- the two places this is used:
when a package doesn't mark itself as zip_safe, setuptools will scan it for special variable names (like 'file') to determine zip_safetyness.
- setuptools.depend.get_module_constant: a generic way to grab the value of a module variable. currently only used by Require.get_version
In Jython, in some cases the zip_safe check will avoid the marshal.load code path because there won't be any .pyc or .pyos in the package (because jython's distutils compiles .py to $py.class instead). Though there may be cases where Jython installs a .egg that already includes .pycs (they aren't pruned).
Unfortunately setuptools is defaulting zip_safe to True unless proved otherwise (and it won't be proved otherwise no .pycs exist). So even if marshal.load is avoided in some cases, those cases can be incorrectly marked as being zip_safe when they are not.
We'll probably need setuptools patched to just assume zip_safe=False under jython when a package doesn't define it, and to avoid marshal.load completely when scanning for zip_safety under Jython. I'm not sure how to workaround issue #2