These are just some rough notes on the steps needed to make a full release of Jython. I generally run ant full-build as a test beforehand, as well as testing many of these steps throughout, but since that isn't strictly necessary I'm not including it here. full-build requires all of the optional jars for the build be available and named in ant.properties. See build.xml for more information.
- Update files in trunk that have information on the current version
- build.xml - update properties jython.version, version.noplus, jython.major_version, jython.minor_version, jython.micro_version, jython.release_level, and jython.release_serial.
- imp.java - If there has been any compiler change, increment magic number APIVersion.
- NEWS (double check with the bug tracker)
- Run regrtest and the bugtests
- Copy maint to a tag
- build from tag
- "svn up" to get the revision number incremented by the tagging above.
- set local properties in ant.properties, mine for 2.5.1rc1:
- ant full-build
- upload installer
go to Project Admin>Feature Settings>File Release on sourceforge
- Click on Add release next to the jython package
- create with a name in line with the version like 2.2rc1
upload the built installer https://frs.sourceforge.net/webupload as documented on http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/sitedocs/wiki/Release%20files%20for%20download
- associate the uploaded file with the new release
also update the SourceForge News page (announcement can be added in Admin/News/Submit)
- update files in the website that reference the current release
- index.txt - news and link to the new download
- redirects/downloads.txt - link to the new download, checksums (from file properties in the SF file manager)
- redirects/latest.txt - a copy of NEWS
- redirect/constants.txt - if there is a new stable release
- jysite.py - update the site template for docutils
- building and uploading of the website is described in README.txt
- upload maven package
- ant -Dproject.version=2.2-rc1 in jython/maven
- scp dist/jython-2.2-rc1-bundle.jar shell.sf.net:/home/groups/j/jy/jython/htdocs
File a jira issue for the upload as described in "Posting the request" on http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-central-repository-upload.html
- other actions after publishing
- change the #jython irc channel topic
- announce on twitter (as jython), irc channel, mailing lists, blog ...
- add a new level in the bug tracker
- update build.xml for trunk again